Re: unknown robot

John Lindroth (lindroth@musc.edu)
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:03:54 +0000

Have you ruled out the AutoSurf option in the latest Moasic (for
Windows). It basically does the same thing as a robot, only to create
a table of URL links.
-John

> To: robots <robots@webcrawler.com>
> From: "Christopher J. Tomasello/WSC"
> <Christopher_J.._Tomasello@hammer.net>
> Date: 29 Dec 95 9:04:46 EDT
> Subject: unknown robot

> Anyone with information on this robot please respond to the group or perferably
> to me ctomasello@hammer.net
>
> There is a robot hitting our web server on a regular basis. It hits every file
> on the server in a very rapid rate (many requests per second). The curious
> thing about this is that the robot is using our IP/domain name to gain access.
> So in the log files it looks like one of our internal servers is hitting the
> site. Also, all the the requests this robot makes are returning 404 errors.
>
> I have heard rumors that the Alta Vista spider is doing this kind of spoofing -
> but I have also heard that it is not. Any information would be greatly
> appreciated.

John Lindroth Senior Systems Programmer

Academic & Research Computing Services
Center for Computing & Information Technology
Medical University of South Carolina

E-Mail: lindroth@musc.edu
Any opinions expressed are mine, not my
employer's. And they may be wrong (gasp!)