Re: Anyone doing a Java-based robot yet?

Adam Jack (ajack@corp.micrognosis.com)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:28:36 -0500

John D. Pritchard wrote:

> how to you figure java doesnt have the functional equivalent of
> libwww when
> it has ftp and http classes built on a general protocol and client
> classes? it lacks urlencode/urldecode. anyone have this done?

I has ftp and http. It does not have (since the BETA):

HTML parsing
WWW date handling
robots.txt parsing/handling
a UserAgent concept
NNTP, Gopher et al.

It does not allow the UserAgent control over HTTP so one can not
utilize the information in that protocol. Its URL support is also
pretty basic.

BTW - It does have urlencode (but not urldecode) see :
http://www.javasoft.com/JDK-1.0/api/java.net.URLEncoder.html#_top_

Java is also slow and, IMHO, not well integrated with databases etc.
If one wanted to compare it with Perl -- it also lacks text
parsing.

> what makes java nice for robots? with interfaces, fetching and using
> remote objects is the functional equivalent to CORBA 2.0, albeit much
> simpler, which i find to be a big advantage. this kind of robotics
> :-) is really interesting.

I didn't ask what made Java a nice environment -- I was focusing on
WWW robots as in the sense of this mailing list.

I agree -- Java is an improvement on C++ for many application
developments. I just don't see what it buys a robot builder.

Adam

--
+1-203-730-5437 | http://www.micrognosis.com/~ajack/index.html
ajack@corp.micrognosis.com -> ajack@netcom.com ->  ajack@?.???