Re: Search accuracy

David A Weeks (cs31dw@ee.surrey.ac.uk)
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 02:00:15 +0100 (BST)

> On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Nick Arnett wrote:
>

> > One of the things that I'd find really interesting would be research into
> > the construction of semantic networks or other knowledgebases from Web
> > topology. That would be a fascinating byproduct of a spider's
> > explorations. I only know of one experiment along those lines, being done
> > by one of our customers. Anyone else looking at this?

My final year project is exactly this. I am using a robot to compile a
knowledge-base on various keywords.

The documentation is at : http://eeisun2.city.ac.uk/~ftp/Guinness/Hello.html

Early results are at : http://eeisun2.city.ac.uk/~ftp/Guinness/results2.html

It would appear that a knowledge-base hooked up to an index catalogue can be
extremely useful in returning more accurate results. Naturally, the user still
has a lot of the responsibility in making his query as less ambigous as
possible.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Dave Weeks.
University of Surrey.