Re: Political economy of distributed search (was topical

Steve Jones (stevej@halcyon.com)
Fri, 3 May 1996 11:45:31 -0700

Saw this note and just wanted to comment that we've had some experience with
trademark/patent attorneys, and have worked on several registrations of our
own. The only important issue with respect to trademark infringement according
to the attorneys and examining attorneys we've dealt with is whether "the use or
misuse of a mark would cause confusion in the mind of the consumer." If the mark
(whether used/misused by a computer program or human) causes confusion in
the mind
of a consumer of goods or services in that class (i.e., International Class
9, "computers
and electronics"), then there's an infringement. If it causes a computer
program to
become confused, then there's no infringement because the computer program
is not
a consumer. I'm not a lawyer though, and if you're staking your business on
this,
see a good trademark attorney.

Steve Jones
General Software, Inc.