Re: implementation fo HEAD response with meta info

Davide Musella (davide@jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:40:18 -0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, G. Edward Johnson wrote:

> Web Server:
> 1) New document is submitted.
>
> 2) Web server adds document to SFT.txt, RSA.txt, and a third un-named
> file containing the Document Meta Information (lets call it DMI).
nearly .. this version create a new meta file for each file submitted
the name of this file is :".<filename>.meta" but isn't important because
it's the server that handle this file to send the meta-info in the HEAD
part of the HTTP HEAD answer
> 3) When HEAD request comes in, pulls meta info from the DMI file, adds in
> the regular headers and sends it out.
> [...]
> It seems that if you are already defining two files, you could just as
> easily define three, and add a DMI.txt that contained all meta
> information for each document on the system.
> What you would gain.
> 1) With the request of three documents, a robot could index your entire site
> 2) Lower server load. You wouldn't have to reparse the DMI to generate
> information for each HEAD request, and there would be many fewer requests
> from robots.
> What you would lose.
> 1) the robot probably wouldn't get the last-modified date and content length
> [...]
I haven't used a dmi.txt file for principally for one reason:
If I have to parse each time a file (it could be really big!) to
extract the meta info, I'll have some problems with the performance of the
server.
I think that a managment of a DMI file could represent a big overload
for a server also if a robot could benefit from this.
A solution could be that an automatic process build the DMI file every
night (?) using all the ".<filename>.meta" files.
But doing so we have increased by a factor 3 the redundace of the meta
information (we can find their in the HTML files, in the
".<filename>.meta" files and in the DMI.txt file).
We can gzip this file, but the problem of the redundance remain.

Davide

Davide Musella
Institute for Multimedia Technologies, National Research Council, Milan, ITALY
tel. +39.(0)2.70643271
e-mail: davide@jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it http://jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it/