Re: BackRub robot

Ross Finlayson (raf@hiway.tomco.net)
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:39:33 -0400

Hi Group,

I am looking at robots, particularly to act as drone avatrs on 3D multi-user
chat systems. They would probably be java and some perl for local dp

I've already looke around the HTTP spec a little bit and was just going to
listen in a while. If you have any questions about VRML, feel free to email
me for discuss.

Have a nice day,

Ross
http://www.tomco.net/~raf

Hi page,

At 11:44 AM 6/13/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I've fixed the rate problem. I believe it was only happening rarely, which
>is why I didn't notice it sooner.

Is the rate just a crontab run or what?

>However, I don't have an easy way to determine if a response is made before
>firing off a new one, except setting the time between hits to be large.
>This is because of the way my robot is distributed. Do people think this
>is reasonable?

What language are you using for your bot?

>I was also thinking that something we all might collaborate on would be a
>list of sites that as a robot you shouldn't index, or should only index the
>top levels. This might save the net a lot of bandwidth, and everyone a lot
>of hassle. We could develop a database to hold this information. Besides
>being useful to us, it might provide a good forum to show site designers
>why they should or shouldn't do certain things with real examples.

Well the standard for robot exclusion would make that pretty esy, any server
that didn't want to waste bandwidth on unsolicited robots could limit them