Re: robot.polite

Martijn Koster (m.koster@webcrawler.com)
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 21:20:19 -0700

At 11:52 AM 6/17/96, Joe Nieten wrote:

>I agree. Why can't we define a "configuration" that robots could download
>and use whenever they access that pariticular web site? This would allow
>administrators to set AccessInterval or something like that. In fact, you
>could specify AccessHours 8a - 5p: 15 seconds or something like this to say
>that you don't want a robot to access you site more frequently than every 15
>seconds between the hours of 8am and 5pm. You could even specify what days
>of the week this would apply to.
>
>Eh ... just a thought.

And a recurring one. The questions are:

- what problem does this solve? Show me the multitudes of people complaining
that they are extremely unhappy having robots visit at certain hours;
- are you going to be able to convince robot-authors to comply? They have
lots of more interesting things they also don't get to :-)
- are you going to be able to evangelise this to all webmasters out there?
Or will this cause more confusion than comfort...

-- Martijn

Email: m.koster@webcrawler.com
WWW: http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/mak.html