Re: Advice

Alyne Mochan & Warren Baker (sb0822@ppp.bekkoame.or.jp)
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 10:43:54 +0900

>At 8:59 AM 6/29/96, Alyne Mochan & Warren Baker wrote:
>>I'm not a programming professional, but I'm trying to learn more about the
>>Internet. To this end I want to write a small robot?/spider? which would
>>seek out possible locations of information that I might like to have.
>
>This is like saying. "I can't fly, but I want to learn about planes. To
>this end I want to write an F-18 weapons system controller"...
>
>How are you going to write a robot if you haven't learned about the internet?
>How is the robot going to decide what stuff is interesting for you, better
>than you can by browsing? Why should people feed their pages to your bot
>if they don't gain anything, and yo'll likely not look at them?
>
>Whatever happened to books and trade magazines? If you want to learn about
>code and/or robots, why not analyse the code for an existing one?
>

>>It might be best if any responses be made to my personal ID rather than to
>>the list, since I worry that this is too low-level for the list. . .
>
>The list is meant to be low level, so don't worry...
>
>Regards,
>

>-- Martijn
>
>Email: m.koster@webcrawler.com
>WWW: http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/mak.html

Thanks Martijn! It isn't all that bad though; I have been studying books
about this sort of thing. What I want to do is put some of my studying to
some particular challenge. Studying with no goal is boring. Also I'm a
researcher. Believe me, when I design the thing it will have a very
specific and well-defined purpose.

Thanks for the feedback!

--Warren