Re: nastygram from xxx.lanl.gov

Steve Nisbet (s.nisbet@doc.mmu.ac.uk)
Tue, 9 Jul 96 10:47:54 BST

At 04:56 09/07/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I just got a nastygram from the web admin at xxx.lanl.gov accusing
>my "robot" of "attacking" him. This "attack" consisted of HEAD's on
>459 URL's, with a mean pause of about 2 minutes. The total data set
>was (all sites) 653k URLs, and yes I probably should have filtered the test set
>limit the number of accesses to any one site. Mea culpa.
>
>He accused my "robot" of violating the "robot guidelines". He didn't
>enumerate which I violated. I'm guessing he may have been upset that the
>test was ignoring his robot.txt, but since the test wasn't traversing the
>general web space and was in no danger of looping or getting lost, there wasn't
>much point. The test was operating from a fixed list of URLs that once tested
>would be discarded.
>
>He also informed me that "we have no need for you to 'index' our site" only
>to then rebuke me for running "a particularly stupid robots that only does
>pointless HEADs". I didn't point out that the two would naturally be mutually
>exclusive. :)
>
>Anyway, he naturally asked that I "cease and desist", which I'm of course I'm
>happy to do.
>
>Comments? Should such accesses as mine also test robots.txt? Were my accesses
>"burdensome" at that rate? Are the "robot guidelines" no longer "guidelines"
>but "rules" and are these rules applicable to all forms of automated access, ev
>en if
>they aren't robots?

Dear Pete, my robots file is effectievly redundant and Im in quiet phase at
the moment, you want to test your BOT - you can on mine if you like
url is
http://www.doc.mmu.ac.uk/

Its a fair sized web, some parts you wont manage to get to but theres at
least some hundreds that you can have a go with.

Steve Nisbet
Web Admin
DOC MMU