Re: Suggestion to help robots and sites coexist a little better

Nick Arnett (narnett@verity.com)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:28:17 -0700

>Nick Arnett wrote:
>
>>Rather than reproducing the discussion, I'd like to suggest that we should
>>focus on the specific proposal that was developed by people from Lycos,
>>Excite and InfoSeek. This is also where Verity is headed unless good
>>arguments are made for a different approach.
>>
>>http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Search/9605-Indexing-Workshop/ReportOutcomes/Spide
>>ring.txt
>
>before anyone focuses on this, please will robot owners agree a string
>to add to the USER_AGENT so that server admins can do something with it.
>This should be a quick and painless task; it just need doing.

Um, you're suggesting that before anyone consider the proposal developed at
a W3C workshop by people from a number of the largest search services and
search engine developers, they should consider your proposal...?

Please give some consideration to the process. The workshop group came up
with a proposal; related comments should be directed to the proposal.

Could I suggest that anyone with such comments and criticism subscribe to
the W3C discussion list for distributed search and indexing?

www-disw-request@w3.org
Subject: subscribe

That's the place to get down to specifics; the discussions will be
reflected on this list and others.

Nick