Re: hoohoo.cac.washington = bad

Erik Selberg (selberg@cs.washington.edu)
29 Jul 1996 10:17:54 -0700

Betsy Dunphy <betsy@aesir.com> writes:

> >Who runs hoohoo.cac.washington.edu? It is pulling a page every 3
> >seconds from my server.
>
> Ahhh.... when I first saw the message, it didn't register. Then
> this morning I suddenly remembered where I'd see that before. Could
> this be the infamous MetaCrawler? This little beastie attacked my
> site last week and had about 75 simultaneous connections. Forget the
> 3 seconds between requests, it was grabbing as fast as we could
> give.

Nope, it ain't MetaCrawler (or even Ahoy!, another great project based
on the MetaCrawler at UW!). MetaCrawler and Ahoy! are based in the cs
department of UW, and the hostnames in question are
vorlon.cs.washington.edu and minbar.cs.washington.edu (and coming
soon, maverick.cs, but we're still trying to get the OSF CDs from
CAC... sigh).

cac.washington.edu is the UW's Computing and Communication dept,
i.e. the campus computer folks. It's unlikely it's a student project,
but you never know what they're paying work studies to do nowadays.

> This is worse than a student project - this is a 'service' being
> provided to the world as a better way to search.

It's not just worse than a student project --- it's a Thesis! ;)

-Erik

--
				Erik Selberg
"I get by with a little help	selberg@cs.washington.edu