Re: robots on an intranet (replies to list...)

Reinier Post (reinpost@win.tue.nl)
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 20:02:40 +0200 (MET DST)

>>list that replies are set to the list not the posters. [...]
>
>I've had enough pleas from people to change this. Please email any
>objections privately to me (ie don't use Reply :-), otherwise I'll
>change it.

>-- Martijn

On this mailing list, I want Reply-to to point to the list; on some others,
I want it to point to the poster. I used to send private replies to these
lists by mistake because of this problem.

My remedy was to hack up a Perl script to change the Reply-to: header.
It is invoked from my mail preprocessor, filter(1) on a Unix system,
which I'm using anyway to save mail from each mailing list to a separate
file. By invoking variations of the script for different mailing lists,
I can automatically set the Reply-to: header (or anything else in the
message) according to my own preferences.

In other words, thanks to this simple hack, I no longer care what the
mailing list presets the Reply-to header to. If you find this useful,
the script is at

http://www.win.tue.nl/~reinpost/tools/reply-to-from

(The script is a hack, not a fool-proof RFC-822-compliant mail processor.)

I invoke it by putting into my .elm/filter-rules lines like the following:

to "cool-list" ?
exec "/my/home/bin/reply-to-from >> /my/home/MAIL/new.cool 2>&1"

--
Reinier Post						 reinpost@win.tue.nl