Re: Copyrights, let them be !

Denis McKeon (dmckeon@swcp.com)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:00:24 -0600

In <199609111058.MAA01548@mirage.axime-is>,
Joao Moreira <joao@axime-is.fr> wrote:
>Here's a different point of view on this whole "copyright" issue, one
>that I haven't seen expressed here yet :
>
>There's this classic economic model of "making money by selling copies
>of the content I've developped" ; this is what Brian Clark, and Richard
>Gaskin, for example, have been defending.
>
>I believe this model is outdated, and not suited to the internet age.
>First, because it's so hard to protect your content while at the same
>time making it available (ease of copying is the very essence of this
>medium) ; but most important, because there are better things to do !
>
>A better economic model (a better business plan for your activity) is :
>make money by selling your expertise, your ability to develop new
>content, and *give out* free content as a demonstration of what you can
>do. It's advertising !
>
>After all, *visibility* is the big problem on the Net (why else would
>you want to get the #1 listing in AltaVista ? why would you help robots
>index your web site ?). Encouraging people to make copies of your work,
>and to distribute it, is the best way to make yourself known. So when
>someone needs some work to be done, and is willing to pay for it,
>they'll come to you...

So, a thief can make a copy of the content you will give away for free,
and erase your name from it and put their name on it,
and get people who need some work done to come to the thief?
Would that be okay with you? I doubt it.

I'll agree that giving away software for free is a great way of
building market share, especially in a rapidly developing market.

And being able to show a prospective client what the last three Web
sites you developed look like and feel like, and to be able to have
pointers to other sites you have created - without hauling around
a tray of slides, or a tape, or big portfolio to the offices of those
prospective clients - well, that's a very nice thing.

But if you were to find that a company had copied all the components
of a Web site you created, and removed your name from them, and made
some cosmetic or non-creative changes - "Company ABC" to "Firm XYZ" -
how would you feel about that? Would it represent a loss of income?
Would it feel like a theft? Or would you take it as a compliment?

>So let the copyright-minded people worry about protecting their content,
>and deal with the intrincacies (:-) of copyright law ; let them worry
>about crypto-sealed digital envelopes or whatever ; let Digimark develop
>ever more complicated, and costly, watermark systems : these are the
>dinosaurs of the net ! The future lies with free content.

Okay, if you really believe that, build it and see if anyone comes.

Like the dinosaurs, we won't know which species will survive until afterward
- we can't tell if a big reptile will survive or not, or which of those
new-fangled warm-blooded creatures will do well, and which ones will die out.
All we can do is try things out and see what works. (And watch for meteors!)

Good luck

--
Denis McKeon
dmckeon@swcp.com