(Fwd) Re: Copyrights, let them be !

Robert Raisch, The Internet Company (raisch@internet.com)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:17:16 -0400

Forwarded message:
From: Self <raisch>
To: dmckeon@swcp.com (Denis McKeon)
Subject: Re: Copyrights, let them be !
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:16:19 -0400

This argument never ceases to amaze me.

<SOAPBOX> How anyone can expect to make a decent living telling a
multi- trillion dollar industry that everything they know about their
business is wrong and they must completely change their practices or
be doomed to extinction is beyond me.

Everyone, that is, except Esther Dyson who certainly comes from very
good genes, but folks...she sells her opinions and expertise. She
makes a great living (I can only assume) from being visionary. In
this case, she gets great mileage out of being contrary because it
allows her to sell more subscriptions and raise her consulting fees.

And there is nothing wrong with this. Hell, I wish I had a tenth
her salary and visibility. She is pure butter to listen to and she
may well be right but, let's face it: the world is not going to
change overnight. And you and I will not make buck one telling
publishers they do not know their own business. </SOAPBOX>

</rr>