Re: Topic drift (archive robot, copyright...)

Ross A. Finlayson (raf@tomco.net)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:53:41 -0400

At 10:41 AM 9/20/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 11:04 AM 9/20/96, Jeremy Sigmon wrote:
>>> Ahh, but when I tape a show it doesn't have the possibility of adversely
>>>affecting my neighbor's picture quality. ;-)
>>> Cheers,
>>> Eric
>>
>>Very good point. If you grabbed 100 or so pages from a site during its
>>slow period then it wouldn't be so bad. But you would need the site to
>>provide connection statistics to give you that.
>
>It may be a good point, but it has nothing to do with this discussion (and
>it's a rather old, tired point that either is settled or never will be).
>The Internet Archive robot, just like any other individual robot, won't
>have any noticeable impact on net traffic. Even if it did, copyright has
>nothing to do with this aspect of the technology.
>
>Nick

I think the net archive is a good idea, especially if it follows robot
exclusion standard. It would be a good contemporary snapshot of the state
of the World Wide Web and the Internet in general. As far as copyrights go,
that is kind of hairy, it should be very very easy to dissuade the archive
robot from accessing your site, perhaps through meta http as well as robots
exclusion. There should also be some kind of policy for redistribution of
the Net Archive contents. Most people would be kind of happy to be included
I would think. As long as it's publicized enough I think a lot of people
would like it.

Ross A. Finlayson
http://www.tomco.net/~raf