Re: Possible robots.txt addition

Klaus Johannes Rusch (e8726057@student.tuwien.ac.at)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:38:07 CET

In <ir18mHAIYXgyEwHK@webfeet.co.uk>, Martin Kiff <mgk@webfeet.co.uk> writes:
> >/Services, /Products and /CorporateInformation is very unlikely to become
> >obsolete ever, whereas "Service Unit Internet" may well decide to be named
> >"Multimedia Group".
>
> ... excellent advice, but quite often you are pulled the other way, by
> the people supplying the information who want visiblity for their
> department name in the URL and, as webmaster, you have to delegate areas
> of responsibility - and most easily this translates to directories. Yes,
> I've been through those battles :-)

I know :-((

With improved authoring tools, however, we may get to a different
responsbility and access scheme, which is not hierarchical, directory based,
and then only place the documents in the appropriate topical directories
automagically (just draming and prepared to wake up RSN :-))

> Agreed - but a simple perl script returning a 'Location' directive
> seemed to generate a 302 on the server I was using (CERN) rather than a
> 301 which I would have preferred...

Try also returning the Status header with the right response code, the
default is 302.

Klaus Johannes Rusch

--
e8726057@student.tuwien.ac.at, KlausRusch@atmedia.net