Re: An extended version of the Robots...

Hrvoje Niksic (hniksic@srce.hr)
12 Nov 1996 08:02:05 +0100

Captain Napalm (spc@armigeron.com) wrote:
> > I would like robots.txt to use the normal shell-style globbing syntax,
> > since it is much simpler and faster to use.
> >
> I was unaware that Perl had different regex than sh and grep (I don't use
> Perl - don't like it). I would recomend using the sh style.
> -spc (since I already have code for it 8-)

Having the code for it is not such a "bad" argument. I also already
have the code for sh-style globbing, and it can be found on a number
of places.

On the other hand, good and fast code for compiling and executing
regexps is hard to find, and it increases the size of your program.
There are several free regex libraries (e.g. the one by Henry
Spencer), but all of them are large. Less contains a fine, small
regexp.c, but less doesn't have everything I would like to have.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia