Re: changes to robots.txt

DA (k3is@UnbSJ.CA)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:15:15 -0400 (AST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how widely used is robots.txt ? Anyone have some
> figures ?.

Well, look it this way:

Check your log files (access_log) and (error_log) or whatever their names
on your system. Do:
grep 'robots.txt' access_log | more and
grep 'robots.txt' access_error | more

>From the access_log you will see that lots of search engines such as
infoseek and lycos...etc are looking for this file.....if it is not there
then a line or two are inserted in the error_log file.

So what is my point.....well, even if WebMasters don't care about
'robots.txt', they should at least create an empty file called robots.txt
so that if a search engine requests it no error would be written to the
error_log file!

Regards,
Qusay H. Mahmoud