Re: An updated extended standard for robots.txt

Art Matheny (matheny@usf.edu)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:07:26 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Captain Napalm wrote:

> It should be noted that the 2.0 standard is still in flux and is liable to
> change without warning
[...]

Understood.

> It was thus said that the Great Art Matheny once stated:
> >
> > I am uncertain about how my version 2.0 robot should interpret the
> > following robots.txt directive:
> >
> > Robot-version: 2.0
> > Disallow: /images
> >
> > Should it retrieve "/images/huge.gif" or not?
> >
> Actually, that's an ambiguous condition.
[...]

Exactly my point! I have not been following this debate very well, but I
read the November 11 revision of the draft, and I think it is a
constructive plan. I conclude, however, that there are philosophical
deadlocks yet to be resolved.

--
 LLLL  LLLLL LLLLLL  Arthur Matheny       LIB 612
LL  LL LL  LL  LL    Academic Computing   University of South Florida