Re: changes to robots.txt

Steve DeJarnett (steved@pmc.philips.com)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:51:30 -0800

Rob Hartill wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how widely used is robots.txt ? Anyone have some
> figures ?.

Out of approximately 160,000 discrete sites visited by fido (the robot
for PlanetSearch), roughly 1.5% of the sites have a robots.txt
file.

Of those that have one, they average about 4.5 lines long.

My feeling is that until the creation and maintenance of
robots.txt files is automated, only people who truly understand the
implications of robots (or whose sites are pounded mercilessly by
ill-behaved robots) will use them.

If Netscape, Apache, etc. provided a simple-to-use tool for
restricting access, etc., then used that to generate a robots.txt file,
I expect we'd see more of them in use, and more that are syntactically
correct. The syntactic variations in existing robots.txt files are
truly amazing.

Steve

--
Steve DeJarnett                  Internet: steved@planetsearch.com