RE: databases for spiders

Nick Arnett (narnett@Verity.COM)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:42:17 -0800

>Nick Arnett[SMTP:narnett@Verity.COM] wrote:
>> At 9:48 AM 11/15/96, ROBERT-LF_HUANG@HP-China-om1.om.hp.com wrote:
>> > which kind of database? informix , sybase or others
>>
>> Verity. We have gateways to other databases -- Oracle, Sybase, ODBC -- but
>> our spider uses the tables in the Verity index itself.
>
>How do these gateways work with the crawler/robot/spider? I'm confused.

They normally don't have anything to do with it. The spider is completely
based on our own engine's database capabilities. The gateways to RDBMSs
are for custom applications that need to talk to Oracle, Sybase, etc. For
example, PC DOCS uses our engine with one of the databases (I can't recall
which at the moment), which is its document store. Of course, with a Web
spider, the Web is the document store!

So, what I was unclearly saying is that *if* one wanted to build an
application that used an RDBMS, we have the ability to do that, but our
spider doesn't need to use that capability, since the table database
functions in our own engine -- the same engine that we use for text -- are
sufficient.

Nick