Re: Getting a Reply-to: field ...

Captain Napalm (spc@armigeron.com)
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 01:05:36 -0500 (EST)

It was thus said that the Great Brian Pinkerton once stated:

> Mailing lists that have a Reply-To: <the list> header usually get a lot of =
> inadvertant messages posted to the list. Given that the list already =
> produces a lot of traffic, and that there are over 500 people on it, I =
> think we should make the default assumption the conservative one, and make =
> posting to the list require a conscious choice
>
> Doesn't your mailer have a reply-to-all feature?

It does. I just never remember to use it, since all of the other mailing
lists I'm on have a Reply-to: field, and the one real active list I'm one
(average: 50 messages a day) only gets one or two misdirected replies every
few months (at best).

And this is not a high traffic mailing list (at least, in my opinion).

-spc (Well, compared to a list that sometimes hits 200+ posts a day ... )