Re: Notification protocol?

Issac Roth (iroth@cisco.com)
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 03:44:30 -0800 (PST)

> I think a notification protocol is probably not very interesting to the big
> robot/search companies - it probably wouldn't improve their services
> perceptibly to they typical user. I think these companies are probably
> investing more in content aggregation and localization than in their robot
> technology.

Excite's latest version of EWS (version 1.1) contains a feature that allows
your copy of EWS to send notification to the Excite Search service when things
that you index locally change.

At the moment, this feature doesn't work quite properly, but it is perhaps
evidence that "big" commercial robot/search companies are interested in the
notification idea.

Issac

(not affiliated with Excite/Architext in any way)