Re: RFC, draft 1

Martijn Koster (m.koster@webcrawler.com)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:54:13 -0800

At 4:07 PM 11/19/96, Klaus Johannes Rusch wrote:
>In <v02140b02aeb2aa2bd2fe@[192.216.46.39]>, m.koster@webcrawler.com (Martijn
>The scope of User-agent is still somewhat ambiguous, does it end at the next
>User-agent line, or at the next User-agent line after an Allow/Disallow line?
>
>In other words, should
>
># 1. two agents with no lines between
>Disallow: /tmp
>
># 2. two separate definitions
>Disallow: /tmp

The spec requires User-agent precedes all other lines,
so the above is invalid, and it's semantics not defined.

># 3. two agents with some lines inbetween

"lines inbetween" are not allowed, as they separate records;
The above record matches webcrawler, has no Allow/Disallow,
so WebCralwer is allowed to go anywhere.

># comments and blank lines

>Disallow: /tmp
>
>be equivalent?

Removing this kind of ambiguity is exactly what I'm hoping a BNF and
better text will fix.

-- Martijn

Email: m.koster@webcrawler.com
WWW: http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/mak.html