Re: Agent Categories (was Re: Broadness of Robots.txt (Re: Washington again !!!)

Erik Selberg (selberg@cs.washington.edu)
21 Nov 1996 14:38:44 -0800

m.koster@webcrawler.com (Martijn Koster) writes:

> At 9:43 AM 11/21/96, Erik Selberg wrote:
>
> >Hmm... rather than using a User-Agent, perhaps using a User-Type
> >similar to Content-type (someone else made a similar suggestion, now
> >that I think about it). For example:
>

> Well, there might actually be benefit to that beyond /robots.txt
>
> Maybe the categories for the robots database can be a starting point:

[snip]

> We are arguing about the definition for a robot ever other day;
> now we can start arguing about the definiiton for 20 categories :-)

True, although by adding categories, we can define "robot" as anything
non-human, e.g. proxies, page watchers, indexers, etc. Think of it as
trading one big argument for lots of little ones. :)

-Erik

--
				Erik Selberg
"I get by with a little help	selberg@cs.washington.edu