robot?

HipCrime (HipCrime@HipCrime.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:01:15 -0800

Matthew K. Gray (mkgray@mit.edu) wrote:

> A "robot" is any piece of software which automatically retrieves
> web pages/documents* and does not immediately present them via
> some mechanism for human consumption before proceeding further.

Let's stick with this definition. Since ActiveAgent displays
the front-page of every site that's entered and allows the "driver"
to view every page visited, obviously, the AA is *not* a robot.

To me, a "robot" is something that runs alone, without human
intervention, interaction, or control. An "agent" is none of
these, so you should consider either:

a. define a "standard" for excluding users AND their agents
(i.e. re-invent the Unix access-priviledges wheel), or

b. give-up on trying to "police" what people and their
programs do.

Everybody want the concept of "freedom of expression" to apply
to them. Artists don't want to be told what they can/can't paint,
and for a programmer, code is the canvass. For a software designer
to be told "No, you can't code it that way", is analogous to telling
a painter "No, you can't use a wide brush, only a narrow one".

... Robert