Re: Standard

Greg Fenton (gregf@mks.com)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:36:55 -0500

Joseph Whitmore wrote:
> Speaking as a user, I really don't care what burden I place on
> a distant server as long as I acquire the information I want.
> [...]
> (People comply with the speed
> limit only because they risk expensive tickets.)

Joseph,

It is the idea that the Internet is a deep space of "distant servers"
and users who "really don't care what burden" they place on these
machines that will bring Gov't regulations.

The Internet has been the success that it is through self-regulation.
When a user spams/flames, then the Internet community takes the action
necessary to keep that abuse from recurring.

The same goes for robots (if not more).

Remember, these "distant servers" *ARE* the Internet.

gregf.

--
Greg Fenton              ||    Email: gregf@mks.com
Professional Services    ||    Phone: +1-519-883-3265