Re: an article... (was: Re: Standard?)

Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 22:03:17 +0000 (GMT)

Greg Fenton wrote:

>I am wondering if anyone has read the article:
>www.yahoo.com/headlines/961127/entertainment/stories/online_livewire_1.html
>
>They are talking about both NetJet and Blaze. Here is a quote from
>that article:
>
> "When someone is reading a Web page, the preloaded browsing feature
> in both programs scans the page for hot links to related pages, then
> downloads those pages to cache memory so they'll load faster if the
> user decides to view them."
>
>Now, if this becomes an enhanced feature for web-browsers, then
>I suspect that rogue-robots will not be the worst of our problems ...
>Web-users will.

Defend yourself before it's too late.

I did a bit of self-defence programming today. Now NetJet users to my
site are caching a short canned message to tell them to disable it when
browsing my site. Hopefully, enough of them will read that before handing
over the registration fee.

Anyone know what User-Agent "blaze" uses ? I've asked them, but don't expect
a (quick) answer.

To the guy asking for advice on his 'snarf' proxy cache preloader -
please don't unleash this on sites without first asking for permission
to do so.

rob