RE: Web pages being served from an SQL database

Martin.Soukup (martin.soukup@fulcrum.com)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 14:52:37 -0500

>> ...Lycos mentions that it doesn't look at any URLs that contain "?".
>> Is there any way to convince the robots that it is OK to go ahead and
>> traverse these URLs? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would
>> be the right solution?
>
>You could encode everything as extra path information I suppose,
>and forget explicit parameters. Any reason that wouldn't work?

i disagree with that kind of solution. i think the problem here is the
way robots handle CGI programs. there is no question, IMHO, that the web
is going to become more and more complex, and that more and more (if not
most) web sites will actually be dynamic, or somehow generated. what is
needed is a way to tell the difference between pages that are generated
and static and pages that are generated on the fly and are highly
dynamic. Any ideas out there as to how to achieve this?

Martin