Re: email address grabber

Captain Napalm (spc@armigeron.com)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 14:32:08 -0500 (EST)

It was thus said that the Great Jeff Drost once stated:

> I realize the evils of automatic mailers, however I justify this to
> myself buy good design.

I can think of better things to write that would appeal to potential
employers than would not upset as many people as what you are doing might.
If I put my email address on my web page, it's for people, not programs, to
get in touch with me.

I already get enough unsolicited email (at my personal account, not my
work account which is what this is) and I wish not to get any more. Even
the spam that says "reply with a subject/body of 'remove'" doesn't always
work.

And I've already made it perfectly clear to my partners that I WILL NOT do
anything for any of our clients that wish to spam via email and I do get
upset when I find out that some of our clients have (not through us though).

I'm sure you can rationalize what you're doing, but by the same account,
so did Cantor and Segal.

> I indent to make this bot slow and carefull not
> to email people that aren't looking for that kind of email.

How can you verify that the recipient would want your email?

> This
> entire project of mine is modivated buy the following Csh script...
>
> # C - Shell mailer for getting a job
> foreach address (`uniq address.jobs`)
> mail -s" internship inquery - computer science major" $address <
> resume.txt
> echo mailing $address ....
> end

This looks like you had collected emails of contact personel at various
companies and sent out a resume to each address. Presumedly, the email
addresses you collected were designed (or intended) for such queries.

> I searched the web databases manually, and cut and pasted the email
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> addresses into the file address.jobs. Of the 170 or so addresses I
> mailed, about 50 returned undeliverable, 40 were replyed to
> automatically, I received about 30 hand typed messages, 10 phone calls,
> and probably 25 postcards and letters.

And the reason you got excellent results was because of the human
interaction involved. YOU went through, applying forethought (forthought?)
to the addresses to include.

If your intention is to search for company contact/personel department
email addresses and offer this list as a service, how can you make sure the
addresses your program chooses fit the criteria? And how can you determine
if the company is actually looking to hire? I know we've gotten a few
unsolicited resumes via email. Not enough to concern ourselves with (under
half a dozen I think), but that might change if we start receiving huge
Microsoft Word documents.

> I consider that to be excelent
> results from something that took me very little time. I wouldn't tell a
> perspective employer that is what I did, they want you to have a special
> interest in their company. In any case, granted, I would have to say that
> if everyone did this, then it would really piss some people off,

Tragedy of the Commons.

> but on
> the other hand, it is near impossible to achive greatness without
> being excessive.

Hitler was excessive. So were Cantor and Segal. Is that how you want to
be remembered?

-spc (Oh wait! I mentioned Nazis! Does this mean this thread is dead
now?)