Re: email address grabber

Art Matheny (matheny@usf.edu)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 15:16:27 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Jeff Drost wrote:

> This seems to have hit a nerve.

I think I was one of the first to bash your address grabber idea, but now
that I understand what you are trying to do, I think it's okay. The
problem is that just because my email address appears on a WWW page does
not mean I welcome email related to any darn word on that page.

> Please comment on this....
> Would it be more acceptable, or at least in better judgement to have a
> spider generate a web documant of links to potential HR pages, that I
> could evaluate manually?

By all means, yes. Write your robot to collect the URL's of pages that
contain certain keywords and also contain an email address. Then do an
eyeball scan of each of those pages to see if the email address occurs in
a context appropriate to your purposes. I say if this gets you a job, more
power to you.

--
 LLLL  LLLLL LLLLLL  Arthur Matheny       LIB 612
LL  LL LL  LL  LL    Academic Computing   University of South Florida