Re[2]: SpamBots

Brad Fox (bfox@bancroft.com)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:37:57 -0500

Forgive me, friends, in advance, for pouncing on two irrelevancies.

Richard Gaskin <Ambassador@FourthWorld.com> wrote:

> 3) As if his choice of fraudulent addresses, "666", were not amusing
> enough, the address is completely non-existent. The closest building
> to that address is the bathroom next to the tennis courts in the
> panhandle of Golden Gate Park.

666 First St would be found not on the Panhandle, but rather in South
Beach, at the end of First Street, near the Embarcadero and South Beach
Marina. I'll walk down there at lunch time and see whether the address
exists. The zip code, though, is wrong for that address.

> Look it up.

The tone of "Look it up" (or "do the math" or "connect the dots") is
unpleasantly superior and condescending. It seems particularly
inappropriate here, when the issue is HipCrime's (alleged) fraudulence
and InterNIC's (alleged) incompetence or sloppy work. I see no call for
expression of such an ugly attitude towards the Ambassador's
interlocutors (viz. the gentle readers of the robots list), especially
given that, well, the Ambassador doesn't seem to have looked it up
himself.