Re: AltaVista Meta Tag Rumour

Danny Sullivan (calafia@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:41:35 0000

> "Is AltaVista falling behind on its effort to index the entire Web?
> Tipsters say the company is blocking URL submissions as it seeks to
> catch up. What's more, AltaVista is said to be dumping whole sites that
> use metatags, forcing them to resubmit their site URLs."

They've been doing a lot of blocking of people who overly resubmit in
an attempt to spam the engines, and I've been told they they aren't
indexing every page of site, spam or no spam. I'll probably post more
of what I know when I get a chance to compile my notes at The
Webmaster's Guide to Search Engines, http://calafia.com/webmasters/.

This is a probably a result of them instituting the near-instant
indexing. Since you can submit a page and see it appear in a day or
two, it suddenly becomes much easier for spammers to submit many
pages all at once and test if they can improve their rankings.

danny