Re: Information about AltaVista and Excite

Klaus Johannes Rusch (e8726057@student.tuwien.ac.at)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:53:21 CET

In <199702101759.JAA51336@rho.ben2.ucla.edu>, Huaiyu Liu <huaiyu@ucla.edu> writes:
> I'm a graduate student doing a survey on search engines. I would like to
> collect more detailed information about AltaVista and Excite. Does anyone
> know any good information sources: papers, Web sites, books etc.?

The best information on search engines is often available on the search engines
pages. Some engines describe their hardware and software infrastructures, or
you can try asking the maintainers :-)

The details of the implementation, the actual number of documents and the
update frequency are probably considered trade secrets, though.

The conference proceedings of WWW5 (and the oncoming WWW6) may have some useful
information also.

Klaus Johannes Rusch

--
e8726057@student.tuwien.ac.at, KlausRusch@atmedia.net