Re: Links

Martijn Koster (m.koster@webcrawler.com)
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 20:07:33 -0700

At 3:14 PM 3/25/96, Jared Williams <williams@earthlink.net> wrote:

>When I submit a URL to a Web Robot what is the deciding facter as to how
>close to the top of a search engine the link appears?

The degree to which the engine considers your submission to match against
the user's query. As such it is a function of both the user's query and
the retrieval engine, neither of which is under your control :-)

>Is there any way that I can get my links to be closer to the top?

Sure -- get all the users to enter the text of your document as their
query, or replace the retrieval engine so it displays yours first?

Seriously, in general search services don't give you the option to
influence the order much. If they did, everyone would abuse it, and
it would render itself useless.

People do try, usually by purposefully exploiting weaknesses in the
implementation, or the very nature of the retrieval engines. Such
spammers can relatively easily be detected, and of course easily get
blocked from the search engine forever... That's called quality
control :-)

Just wondering: What makes your page so much more deserving to be on
the top of a results list?

-- Martijn

Email: m.koster@webcrawler.com
WWW: http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/mak.html