Re: word spam

Trevor Jenkins (tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 09:49:19 +0000

On 12 Apr 96 at 0:22, chris cobb wrote:

> This may have been discussed in past sections, but it comes to mind regarding the use
> of large blocks of random or repetitive keyword text in web pages - either to obstruct a crawler's indexing
> mechanism or to increase the ranking of a page.
>
> There is a feature in many word processors - Word comes to mind - as part of the
> "Grammer Check" section.

Sadly, some index engines are incluing grammatically correct pages
that are not really pages. For example, use the Alta Vista engine and
look for "posix". You will get "hundreds" of perl, Tcl/Tk or other
scripts that include "posix.pl" or similar. These scripts are
syntactically correct but are not what I was expecting to see. The
grammar checker, in case, has verified that the content is okay but I
would contend that the page should have been excluded from
consideration.

Regards, Trevor.

--

Procrastinate Now!