Re: Defenses against bad robots

Jaakko Hyvatti (Jaakko.Hyvatti@Elma.FI)
Mon, 20 May 1996 11:14:08 +0300 (EET DST)

ingram@netcom.com:
>How do you stop a server caught in an infinite loop clear=20
>accross the world, from hitting your sight repeatedly? If=20
>you contact the site admin in another country and there is no=20
>response, then what? Is there a way to refuse requests on=20
>your end, or is the very act of refusing a given server=20
>essentially putting a load on your server?

There are ways which do not put virtually any load anywhere:

1. configure your router network to deny routing to your server port 80
from the evil site.
2. configure your host firewall to deny it.
3. configure your server to deny it with 403 error message.
This is the most selective way, as you can (depending on your
server software) filter requests by any http headers,
and give cleartext responses as to why you deny the service.

>It seems to me that the global Internet should have a method=20
>where a runaway server can be cutoff from the Internet, that=20
>is to say, if their system admin doesn't respond to repeated=20
>requests in a reasonable time to stop their runaway server. =20
>Is there such a central body who can be contacted in such=20
>emergency situations?

Fortunately there is no such central body. You should contact his
internet service provider as well as your own, and maybe discuss the
matter in a newsgroup or mailing list to inform the others. Internet
is after all an internetwork of interconnected ISP networks and
legally based on their mutual agreements.

Jaakko Hyv=E4tti
Jaakko.Hyvatti@elma.fi