Re: Defenses against bad robots

Robert Raisch, The Internet Company (raisch@internet.com)
Mon, 20 May 1996 09:27:17 -0400

On 19 May 96 at 16:12, ingram@netcom.com wrote:
> It seems to me that the global Internet should have a method
> where a runaway server can be cutoff from the Internet, that is
> to say, if their system admin doesn't respond to repeated
> requests in a reasonable time to stop their runaway server. Is
> there such a central body who can be contacted in such
> emergency situations?

Ummm... you have part of the problem but not the answer.

Looking to regulatory agencies to "administer" the global
Internet is the worst thing we can do.

What is really needed is a logical, well-designed information
infrastructure for the global Internet and for the Web
specifically. Until this happens, we can code around problems
until our fingers fall off and none of it will mean squat.

I really wish people would stop trying to deal with the symptoms
and get after the disease.

</rr>

--
  </rr> Rob Raisch, The Internet Company