ADMIN: unsubscribing (was: Re:

Martijn Koster (m.koster@webcrawler.com)
Wed, 26 Jun 96 08:17:07 -0700

My patience is wearing thin with the mailing list admin hassles that
are normally spared most of you, so allow me to rehash some recurring issues.

Just in case anyone else is considering sending "unsubscribe" messages
to the list, may I remind everyone (un)subscribe messages should go
to robots-request@webcrawler.com. Notice the "-REQUEST" there.
This is explained when you join. It is explained on the web page.
It's the same as every other mailing list I've ever been on.

At least spell "unsubscribe" correctly, so the mailing list software
can bounce it to me and I can do it by hand, which is a pain, takes time,
and may result in mistakes; but at least that saves the remaining 463
members from having to get annoyed at you.

If your address changes; unsubscribe and re-subscribe. Only takes a
minute, and if you're paranoid about losing mail there is always
the archive on the web; Can't make it much easier than that...
If you're too lazy for that, mail the administrative address, and I'll
do it by hand, for you.

I do _really_ get pissed off when I get messages like:

> i have tried the nice way to be removed from this list.
> my request was ignored.
> im now requesting again by mailing to the list.

This really tempts me to unsubscribe you, and add you to the error
bounces list, so you get the 150 odd bounces/delivery reports I
get on my plate every day... :-/

What do you expect anyway? That the mailing list collectively will
break my door down, hold a gun to me head, steal my mail host
machine, and remove your name from the Majrodomo list there?

If you have a beef, talk to me. Being nice motivates me quite
a bit to act fast; I usually act on admin messages within 24 hours on
a weekday. Being arrogant doesn't help.

Let me say it again: any mail relating to administrative issues,
should go to robots-request@webcrawler.com, or at worst, to me
directly.

In other news, I've fixed my copy of Majordomo to filter the
RCPT messages correctly, and to strip out the "X-confirm-reading-to",
to prevent them being generated by at least some mail systems, as
suggested by an observant reader. Hope this helps a bit.

If only I could program it to bounce badly formatted messages, poorly
written flame(s|bait) and irrelevant or uninformed messages, and
unsollicited ads...

Come on now, having an email forum for decent discussion need not
be _that_ hard.

Regards,

Martijn Koster, robots mailing list administrator, slightly ticked off...

-- Martijn

Email: m.koster@webcrawler.com
WWW: http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/mak.html