Re: Description or Abstract?

Davide Musella (davide@jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it)
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 10:56:49 -0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Reinier Post wrote:

> A quick look at the outcome of the indexing workshop reveals a suggested
> standard using <META NAME="..." CONTENT="...">
>
> http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Search/9605-Indexing-Workshop/ReportOutcomes/S6Group2.html

I had already read that doc. But I've not found any real proposal
to standardize the description of an html file .
they'll do (we hope). I'm not sure it was more important to define
the robot metadata than the description metadata; the proposal about
how to define the scheme used is not clear and it bring more confusion.
The description metadata must be used by authors and they need
something of not complex.
many catalogation-schemes are for librarians not for normal author and they
ask for a method (maybe derived from dublin?) easy to use, without a
separation of the metainfo from the main file.
who began this thread was looking for a simple scheme semantically
understood by any robot, so to insert metadata in his files, and how many
times have you met someone with the same problems? too many!

Davide

Davide Musella
Institute for Multimedia Technologies, National Research Council, Milan, ITALY
tel. +39.(0)2.70643271
e-mail: davide@jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it http://jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it/