Re: Should I index all ...

Michael G=?iso-8859-1?Q?=F6ckel (Michael@cybercon.technopark.gmd.de)
Fri, 05 Jul 1996 11:59:31 +0100

CLEDER Catherine (stagiaire Le Gleau) wrote:

> I'm trying to index it, but many words comes too frequently.
> for example :
>
> If an user ask as query search, "TITRE" or "AUTEUR" (these words are used in all documents), he will receive the URL of all the documents.
> Can I prevent it ?
> How ?

The clue is: Use a stopword list. There's not much sense in showing all
your documents as a result of a search. Exclude words, which are found
too often. This helps getting your database smaller (if you index a
great number of documents). But you should notify the user about having
entered a stop word.

Michael Göckel                               CyberCon Gesellschaft
Michael@cybercon.technopark.gmd.de             für neue Medien mbH
Tel. 0 22 41 / 93 50 -0                            Rathausallee 10
Fax: 0 22 41 / 93 50 -99                        53757 St. Augustin
www.cybercon.technopark.gmd.de                             Germany