Re: Alta Vista getting stale?

Denis McKeon (dmckeon@swcp.com)
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 15:08:22 -0600

[posted to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
and to the robots mailing list.]

In article <ukzq5de1an.fsf@julie.teleport.com>,
Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> wrote:

>Alex> And sure enough today (5th July) the Alta Vista database appears to have
>Alex> been refreshed :) This is consistent with their two monthly cycle.
>Alex> I just wish they could perform the refreshes more frequently :(
>
>And I just wish they would index at least as many documents as the
>previous database. Specifically, a search for url:teleport.com.merlyn
>or url:stonehenge.com.merlyn now turned up exactly *one*
>document... something I added recently. At least on the previous
>database, a dozen or so things turned up.

Similar problem - I maintain what I think is a useful topical page,
as well as some less generally useful ones (mostly bookmarks).

The topical page has some supporting pages - update form, additional
info, and plain text versions - and a recent AV search found all the
supporting pages, but not the topical page that they support! Arrgh!

I wonder if the AV search engine is not returning matches
for the oldest pages, or perhaps dropping them from the DB?

The server logs show Scooter visiting around June 20,
but not retrieving that top page since April 22.

Ironically, June 30 or so I added to some of these pages:

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX">
<META NAME="DOCUMENT-STATE" CONTENT="STATIC">

hoping to flush the supporting pages out of search engine indexes, leaving
only the topical page, but (coincidentally) the reverse has happened. Sigh.

New Mexico Internet Service Providers List:
http://www.swcp.com/~dmckeon/nm-isp.html