Re: nastygram from xxx.lanl.gov

Drew Hamilton (dhamilto@opentext.com)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:59:29 -0400

Gordon Bainbridge wrote:

> "despite the name, this site has no relation to or information on
> any of the following topics: sex, adult, nude, playboy, porn,
> porno, erotica, pornography, erotic. gay, penthouse, pussy willow,
> bondage, girls, xxx, nudity, nudes, hustler ..."
>
> This suggests to me that they have brought much of their trouble on
> themselves by continuing to use the name "xxx".

No, it suggests that they're contradicting themselves. First of all, they insist
that they don't want their site indexed, but then they go and fill up their page
with words that, if the site *does* get indexed, will ensure a high number of
hits on their site.

That's a common trick - people filling up their HTML code with sex-related words,
knowing very well that when people go the search engines and type in words like
"sex" or "pussy", their page will be returned in the results, and, since
sex-related words are likely among the top searches anywhere, they'll get more
hits for it.

Personally, I can't believe that tax dollars are paying for such an immature
site.

Oh, and these are my own opinions, not those of my employer.

--
Drew Hamilton - Open Text Corporation, Web Index Team
   (519)888-7111 x.297