Re: nastygram from xxx.lanl.gov

Denis McKeon (dmckeon@swcp.com)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:13:49 -0600

In <9607101601.AA02328@outland.BASISinc.com>,
Gordon Bainbridge <gordon@BASISinc.com> wrote:
>This suggests to me that they have brought much of their trouble on
>themselves by continuing to use the name "xxx".

xxx.lanl.gov is at a high-energy physics site. There is also an
xyz.lanl.gov (and the requisite www.lanl.gov). Think for a moment
about what computer languages might be used at a high-energy physics site.
Think about how large arrays for 3-D simulations might be described in
such languages. Does a pattern begin to emerge? I think that this use of
xxx has more to to with Fortran 77 than with the defunct MPAA "X" rating.

Still, the discussion of this site seems to boil down to:

>the test was ignoring his robot.txt

and the person doing the ignoring seems to want a retro-active
re-assurance that his actions were actually appropriate. Get real.

If I walked up to a door that had a sign saying "Do Not Disturb"
and knocked on the door and got yelled at, would I be justified
in complaining: "That guy was rude. He yelled at me." ?

Consider it an encouragement to learn more about manners.
Then, if you choose to ignore what some people consider good manners,
you can take responsibility for making an informed decision
instead of just complaining about the results of your choices.

I will agree that this particular site is a bit of a Venus flytrap -
using sex-related index words for bait - but the point that it has
a robots.txt file and that your software ignored it is enough for me.

--
Denis McKeon
dmckeon@swcp.com