Re: dumb robots and xxx

Michael Schlindwein (m_schlin@informatik.uni-kl.de)
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 22:42:46 +0200 (MET DST)

Rob Hartill wrote:
>> There are basically 2 opinions here:
>>
>> 1) robot owners should follow guidelines and respect site ownsers choice
>> of what should be hit automatically and what shouldn't.
>>
>> 2) robot owners can do whatever they damn well feel like and it's the
>> job of a site owner to build a fortress of safety systems to prevent
>> the robots from causing damage or denial of service.

Ron Wolf replied:

> Reply to: RE>dumb robots and xxx
>
> Almost hating to put any more fuel on this fire, but I just have to ask a
> simple pratical, not philosophical, question wrt 2) below. I know its a minor
> pain to have to do it, but doesn't blocking out the IP of the offending robot
> at a firewall take care of shutting down offending robots? It seems to work
> for us.
> ________________Ron Wolf, Netsource, ron.w.wolf@tsphere.com

> Reply to: RE>dumb robots and xxx
>
> Almost hating to put any more fuel on this fire, but I just have to ask a
> simple pratical, not philosophical, question wrt 2) below. I know its a minor
> pain to have to do it, but doesn't blocking out the IP of the offending robot
> at a firewall take care of shutting down offending robots? It seems to work
> for us.
> ________________Ron Wolf, Netsource, ron.w.wolf@tsphere.com

Not that I count myself to (2), but nevertheless:
In the case of blocking out an IP adress no other access from the same site
is possible. If I would make trouble with a robot and you block the IP adress
of the university computer from which I accessed your site any fellow student
prof., etc is also blocked out.
Do you think or are you sure that in situations where you utilized your method
you only block one specific robot user who operated from his own computer?

Mike