Re: Robot Gripes forum? (Was: Anyone know who owns this one?)

Rob Turk (rturk@austin.ibm.com)
Fri, 02 Aug 1996 15:25:40 -0500

Betsy Dunphy wrote:

> Rob (and others reading this post),
>
> Uh.. no flames... hope you got your coffee :-).

Yes, thank you! Actually, the only flame was from a guy that accused me
of being a "smart ass" for making that suggestion. I wasn't trying to
be one, although I have sent facetious notes to this list in the past
(not _trying_ to be malicious...just silly) and I want to respect
everyone's time and intelligence etc. so sorry to offend.

It just seems as if a distinction could be beneficial. I wasn't trying
to stifle anyone's desire to find answers to their dilemma (whether its
a webmaster who's site has been bombarded by requests from user agents
not playing by the rules or developers sincerely trying to make useful
software) or just to rant and rave about agents.

I do believe that the solution to most problems can be found in
communications -- no macho posturings, no finger-pointing, no blaming --
and that if people always played by the rules (or standards) and never
tried anything new or unprecedented that the Net would get boring pretty
quick. Of course, standardization is a practical antidote to cacophony
and chaos... so it's a fine line we must all traverse daily.

Again, agents should not be tested on the public Networks, and should
not be tested on a machine without contacting it's administrators.

Thanks for your attention...

--
Rob Turk <mailto:rturk@austin.ibm.com> Always Un-Officially Speaking
Web Work <http://toolbox.austin.ibm.com/~rturk> http://www.megalith.com