Re: ActiveAgent

Benjamin Franz (snowhare@netimages.com)
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:48:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, HipCrime wrote:

> Hello ...
>
> Recently received a URL to your "World Wide Web Robots,
> Wanderers, and Spiders" homepage, and wanted to communicate
> with you regarding HipCrime's ActiveAgent.
>
> ActiveAgent is a program which traverses the WWW automatically,
> and can be guided by a human operator or allowed to work on its
> own. It is given a starting URL, and follows links from there
> to anywhere, finding/pushing MAILTO buttons all along the way.

I am more than slightly annoyed at someone marketing a spambot. Not
surprised (I've been getting junk mail from apparent web robots for quite
some time now) - but definitely annoyed.

Let me make it perfectly clear: I WILL NOT VISIT, WILL NOT BUY FROM, WILL
NOT ASSIST IN GIVING POSITIVE PUBLICITY TO ANY SITE OR PRODUCT THAT SENDS
ME UNSOLICITED EMAIL ABOUT THEIR SITE USING A ROBOT.

Guess it is time to go get and compile the Apache user-agent blocking
module since it doesn't comply with the REP. I hope it has some
identifying string in the mail - so I can add it to my procmail filters as
well.

--
Benjamin Franz
"Fuck. Now I get the lovely task of deleting all MAILTO: links from our