Re: ActiveAgent

Ross A. Finlayson (raf@tomco.net)
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:03:54 -0400

I agree that any robot sold to the general public should follow the robot
exclusion factor. It seems that when we get to the pint where every dog and
its advertising agency is running 400 instances of spambot, it will be nice
to be able to generally say "no" to unsolicited mailings.

In the case that a spambot did hit a site and email everyone linked to it,
maybe it would be a good idea to have a public resource kind of like the
better business bureau to report such impolite spammers. When the email
address of the sending spambot was forwarded to the site, it could send a
couple thousand messages to the sender asking to be removed from their lists.

I have seen this one guy's sig file that says "all unsolicited email
proofread at $199/hour". That is as a good idea.

Ross A. Finlayson
raf@tomco.net