Re: ActiveAgent

Fred K. Lenherr (lenherr@tiac.net)
Sat, 09 Nov 1996 07:20:39 -0500

andy@andy.net wrote:

> ActiveAgent could be used very nicely within a contained environment
> (can't get out to the net at large) by responsible users.

Hydrogen bombs are very handy for creating new wetland environments
for migratory waterfowl. They make a real nice BIG hole.

Therefore, H bombs should be freely available to all responsible
Walmart customers, to help preserve our endangered wildlife.

I've emailed all my system people about all this, you might want to
do the same.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I sort -u'd and
grep -v'd my raw mailto file to exhaustion. I then made a small test
mailing with 100% positive response.

*Then* I made the big mailing. It's been two weeks, and I'm still
hearing from over-zealous MAILER-DAEMON's who have made 692
attempts to deliver my message to gog@magog, "will keep trying
for the next 24 days".

My thinking now is that it's all too easy to rationalize to
yourself that "it's spam if HE does it, but OK for my exalted
purposes". I plead nolo contendere to that.

Fred

P.S. I just downloaded ActiveAgent, pointed it at the very bottom of
my htdocs tree, and turned it loose. It went all the way to
the top of the tree and returned the URL for the U.S. Department
of Commerce. Bet they're goning to seeing a lot of email soon!

I couldn't figure out the User-Agent, but it's probably ActiveAgent.
My logs just show myself, who was doing the accessing after all.
Is the User-Agent logged anywhere by the serving NCSA httpd? Or
does anyone know where to get a Java de-compiler?

Sorry for such a long posting!