Re: infoseeks robot is dumb

Matthew K Gray (mkgray@MIT.EDU)
15 Nov 1996 14:10:21 -0500

otisg@panther.middlebury.edu (Otis Gospodnetic) writes:
> their robot is requesting robots.txt every single time it wants to get
> something from our server ! What's the deal with that ? Our server (and
> their robot) must do twice the work - bad.
>
> does anyone know if this is just a temporary problem or if it has always been
> like this ?

I believe it is only requesting robots.txt every time it starts a new
heierarchy, but I'm not sure. At MIT, this robot often hits our site
tens of thousands of times a day, walking a filesystem. While we
don't object to this, it seems unlikely that they mean to be indexing
this. And, typically it only requests robots.txt a few hundred, or
occasionally thousand times a day, in any case, certainly not once per
request. Still, a bit overzealous.

...Matthew